• Annie Nelson
    My 5 year old male miniature schnauzer is in hospital diagnosed with acute pancreatitis. Has anyone gone through this with their dogs. He has to go on a low fat diet. He has always had dry food (Royal Canin for miniature schnauzers. Supposedly formulated to prevent pancreatitis which they are susceptible to) and I feed him raw lean beef with no fat. I don’t know how he will cope with just dry food. Any help would be really appreciated. I’m frantic about him right now I have just ordered a sample pack of your food to see if he likes it. Is it suitable for a dog with pancreatitis?
  • Mike
    So sorry to hear that Annie. How is he doing?

Generally, we wouldn’t recommend that any dog who has had pancreatitis eat Scratch as their main food source as they should be eating closer to 8% fat food.

Scratch is 15-16%, so in the mid-range for pure fat content.

Don't get me started on RC's breed-specific foods. Very misleading in our opinion but we'll leave that for another day. In any case, their Miniature Schnauzer food has 12% fat so probably not suitable either, and a lot of their ingredients are tough to digest.
  • Annie Nelson
    Thanks for responding Mike. It looks like I’m going to lose my best friend. I’m gutted
  • J Choo
    my terrier cross was diagnosed with borderline pancreatitis when his wound from a dog bite took a long time to heal. It was suspected that the cortisone he had to have to recover may have triggered the pancreatitis. This was 5 years ago. Vet suggested diet of cooked rice with lean chicken and veggies as he has difficulty processing dry food. This helped. Good luck Annie.
  • Mike
    So sorry to hear that :cry:

My thoughts are with you. Keep us posted on his recovery
  • KRL
    Annie I'm so sorry for your loss. Hope you're doing okay.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment
Scratch Dog Food

Welcome to dog:talk by Off The Leash!

dog:talk is a fun, respectful dog forum to discuss and celebrate healthy, happy dogs. We've just launched, so jump in and show us your dog! 🐶

The 3 most helpful contributors in our first month win 2 free boxes of Scratch dog food.

Scratch Dry Dog Food

Supported by Scratch Dog Food