• Mike
    I'm curious. Do you buy the same treat for your dogs regularly, or mix it up every time?
  • Doug
    Snoop gets a mix, but only natural body part treats. Either raw or dehydrated. Raw meaty bones are his favourite. He is not a fan of liver treats after he stole some and ate too much one day....:vomit:
  • Kristy
    I feed my 3 fur babies raw treats such as fresh duck feet, chicken feet and chicken necks. I am told duck and chicken feet have chondroitin which help with joint mobility. The bully sticks are great too if I am looking for a dehydrated alternative. I avoid processed treats all together as you never know whats inside!
  • Doug

Yeah - duck and chicken feet are great sources of chondroitin and glucosamine too.
  • Sue
    I like to mix mine up but I look for natural Australian or NZ made products. Dehydrated fish, heart bites, strips etc. The one thing I struggled to get my dog to eat initially was dehydrated green lip mussels. He just spat them out. He eventually acquired a taste for them.
  • Anna Sarantinos
    Dingo and Wookie are very spoilt. They get Scratch Food which we also use as treats because they both love it so much, but also get Laila and Me and Ziwi. Occasionally they ll get raw chicken. They both love it, unfortunately Dingo gets a sore tummy on it if eaten too often. Wookie can have it everyday.
  • Charl
    Our Lilly gets a wide range of treats. Her favourite is biltong, a South African delicacy which is a much better version of jerky. We use this while training Lilly (really we give it to her while she trains us). I have to make a batch specially for her as our hooman version is too spicy.
    She also gets a daily orange bone (carrot) and loves random fruit and veges while helping her mom cook (she is a very eager kitchen assistant).
    Sam has also found a wonderful pet cook book so makes batched of treats that range from peanut butter and banana treats to watermelon ice-cream.
    The one thing any pup can't do without is her pupachino in the morning. Puppy milk and ground liver. Sadly we have made the cardinal error of leaving the liver shaker near the hooman coffee machine. I shall leave it there...
  • Lisa
    We mix it up. Finn is only 6 months old so we are still learning everything he really likes, but bananas, watermelon and Apple are firm favorites. He got his first big boy bone yesterday and is loving carrying it around our yard and "hiding" it in his kennel.
  • Holly
    Definitely a mix! I like to focus on raw and dehydrated. But the little guy gets a bit of a frozen carrot everyday, that's the one constant!
  • Naomi
    My whippet loves cheese the most.
  • Mike
    :lol: :lol: :lol: That can't be a good taste
  • Mike
    Isn't it funny how instantly they become territorial with bones. Curious - were you nervous about giving your dog a bone for the first time? We're looking at whether we one day add the ability to include them with your Scratch order, but not sure how comfortable first-time pet parents are with them?
  • Lisa
    He is still carrying it around. Its super cute watching him carrying this giant bone around.
    I wasn't really nervous - it was more curious as to whether he would know what to do with it. My biggest concern generally is making sure the bones we give him are big enough that they aren't dangerous, but not too hard that he can't get any value from them. A 6 month old Newfoundland has a big head, and big teeth, but his ligaments and muscles are still developing so it's a fine line. I think as long as you could make sure that the bones you send are appropriately sized for the pooches, its a great idea.
    Meanwhile, I'm just patiently waiting for a large breed puppy formula from you guys....
  • Mike
    Haha funny you say that. We're working on a few things at the moment...
  • Aimee
    Finn - "hiding" his big boy bone :lol: Lisa, I share the same concerns with wanting to purchase the correct bone size, bone won't splinter etc... My son Rocco shows me where he hides his bones, ha, ha!
  • Lisa
    Finn "hides" it in plain sight. He spent the first day just carrying it around. Not chewing on it, just carrying it. Crazy little guy. His bone is currently right at the back door because he wanted to bring it inside when I let him in earlier. If I let him bring it in, he would probably put it in his toy box!
  • Aimee
    Finn's being a good boy - cleaning up after himself. That is why he would probably put it in his toy box, if you let him bring it inside, LOL What kind of toy box does Finn have?
  • Aimee
    Would you please share Lilly's special biltong recipe? My son needs to "train" me too - ha, ha!
  • Charl
    Hi Aimee. Lilly's biltong is really plain. I slice silverside or topside into 1.5 - 2cm thick pieces which are then dipped in or brushed with brown vinegar. After very lightly salting them (to help cure the meat) I put them in the food drier. They develop a rich beefy flavour as they dry. After 4-5 days I take them out and chop them into treat sized pieces.
  • Aimee
    Thank you for sharing!
  • Lisa
    it's just one of those fabric cubes that you can get to put in the "cube storage units". He has way more toys than actually fit in it, but we rotate them around. I put in enough toys of different kinds, and then in a week or two swap a couple out so he doesn't get bored with the same toys.
  • Lisa
    do you use the dehydrator for other treats? We've been thinking about getting one to make our own doggy treats but I wasn't sure how much use it would get if we only made the one thing in it.
  • Charl
    We use it for a variety of things, including drying herbs and fruit. Biltong is our main focus though (I eat more than Lilly does!)
  • Lisa
    thanks! I didn't even think of drying herbs. Pretty sure if we got one and started making jerky and biltong my husband would be eating as much of it as Finn!
  • Aimee
    Thanks for replying. I have been thinking about getting a toy box :)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment
Scratch Dog Food

Welcome to dog:talk by Off The Leash!

dog:talk is a fun, respectful dog forum to discuss and celebrate healthy, happy dogs. We've just launched, so jump in and show us your dog! 🐶

The 3 most helpful contributors in our first month win 2 free boxes of Scratch dog food.

Scratch Dry Dog Food

Supported by Scratch Dog Food